"The Mapmaker's Chronicle: Race to the End of the World" by A. L. Tait
Copyright 2014, 171 pages
Fantasy / Historical Fiction
![]() | |
| Image taken from Goodreads |
Some might find it confusing, or hard to read, but I like it that way. Maybe it's just the story's time setting. The funky, fancy words only made me feel like this book came straight out of the Middle Ages. Aside from the diction, however, the rest of the story soon exceeded my expectations. Quinn's "underdog" crew and their thrilling adventure is a lot more than just a zero-to-hero story (however much it appears to be so at first). It's about discovery, encountering fears, being patient, forgiving, trusting, regretting being trusting, huge white good-luck monster and hair-breadth escapes from death. Oh and my favorite: it's also about being open-minded. I love, love, love it how Zain repeatedly explained to the youngsters how the world is so much bigger than what they have seen. Simply because they have never seen it, doesn't mean all those strange things they encountered has never been there at the first place. I feel like this bit is still very much applicable today - where everyone has access to an accurate world map. Too many acted like the world ended in their borders. Too many are intolerant of different culture if it crossed their own. I suppose everyone needs to "go see the world" at least once in their lifetimes.
Anyway. Back to the book. All in all, it's an enjoyable read. It did not start out great, but then there's this sudden rush of events that will engulf you and carry you with it - like a really big wave. Everything is so fast-paced. Before you can blink there's another new thing happening - making it impossible to put the book down. That said, I do wince at the tall tale side. And when I say "tall tale", I mean Quinn's exaggerated abilities. Photographic memory is not fiction. But learning a completely foreign language overnight definitely is. As someone studying Second Language Acquisition, I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at that bit. I do know this book is meant to be fantasy anyway, but that definitely-impossible language skill still bothered me nonetheless. Perhaps it's just the possibility of people believing that bit to be true - since it's depicted to be a part of Quinn's photographic memory which, again, is not fiction. There's also Nammu, the ginormous, one-horned, ghostly maybe-fish. In my head I imagined Nammu to be a narwhal. The book never did reveal if Nammu is just a big fish, a monster or a spirit, but for some reason I'm crossing my fingers and toes for Nammu to be a narwhal (or something else that is realistic). Again, I know this book is supposed to be fantasy anyway, but I do prefer if it keeps the realistic parts realistic. I just think it would seriously destroy my understanding of the universe if they decided to make sea monsters real. Not that Quinn's language skills already shaken it anyway.
Now this particular book is only the first of the trilogy. So I have yet to find out the results of the race. Obviously I have no guess as to who will claim victory, but I'm honestly a lot more interested in whether or not we will reach the part where Quinn realized there's no such thing as Genesi - and that the Earth really is round. Because - just the way I hope Nammu is a narwhal - I sure wish they wouldn't decide to make "the flat Earth myth" a fact.

No comments:
Post a Comment