Thursday, March 24, 2016

3/24/2016
"Duck for President" by Doreen Cronin
Copyright 2004, 32 pages
Fantasy

Picture taken from Goodreads
This book is quite a fun one. I do love the basic idea of it. That, and the repeated joke of vote tickets being stuck under the people's bottoms. However, I'm a little conflicted as to what message it is trying to convey. At first I thought Duck will surely go home to Farmer Brown and go back to doing his regular chores. If so, then the story will be all about "be grateful of what you have", seeing how Duck kept on running for higher and higher elections and hating every single one of his leadership jobs. But apparently not! He sat comfortably in front of his computer and wrote his autobiography. Assuming Duck enjoys his new life as an author, I really don't know what the story is trying to tell. Is the author telling us to keep on shooting for the stars even if you might not like it? Is it just all about how tiring being a president is?  Is it just a quick introduction to civic duty and how elections work? Or is this story all about being ungrateful - since Farmer Brown raised and cared for all his farm animals, yet they rebel (and overthrew him!) anyway? I can't even decide what I think this book is all about. It sure made me smile, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment