Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Changeling

01/25/2016
"The Changeling" by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Copyright: 1970 (218 pages)
Juvenile fiction

Disclaimer: this picture is taken from books.google.com
The Changeling is a short novel revolving around the friendship between upper-class Martha Abbott and her marginalized, lower-class neighbor Ivy Carson. Although the main character is Martha, the spotlight is mostly shone on Ivy. That way, we get a good feel about both girls' thoughts and life events. Right from the get-go, Snyder made it very clear through her narration that Martha is one of the Abbotts, and Ivy one of the Carsons.  Readers got introduced in great detail to each member of the Abbott family; what they do, where they live, what their leisure activities are, and - for Martha's older siblings - what kind of students they are. In short, Martha's father is a lawyer. Her mother is a housewife with a keen interest on golf, among many other volunteer projects. Her grandmother grows many rare, prized (probably expensive) plant species in the family garden. Cath and Thomas - her two older siblings - are star students with a huge number of friends and membership in many influential organizations such as the Girl Scout and the school's football team. Ivy, on the other hand, is a Carson. That is all we got from her.

We got a description about her cramped, rundown house under the highway. We also heard that some of her siblings made it to the news for criminal activities. We then heard, from Ivy herself, that the family has eight children and constantly move from state to state. Martha then added into the narration that, "apparently", the reason why the Carsons move a lot is because Ivy's father owes a lot of people a lot of money. The "apparently" part is because Martha is flooded with rumors from other wealthy children about what exactly do the Carsons do. She (Martha) then noted that the actual fact is not as gruesome as she initially thought.

Although I realize that this is definitely not the first piece of literature that describes the friendship between two children living in two different walks of life, I find The Changeling unique as it mostly focuses on Ivy's universe of make-believe that she shared with Martha. Between a mother that is constantly drunk, an infant sibling she must care for right after school, a father that is constantly in debt and a beloved aunt that is always so sick, it's admirable to see how Ivy chose to comfort herself in the many worlds she made in her tales. That being said, I have always been a Martha Abbott all my life. From "an Abbott" perspective, Ivy's ability to stand tall despite all the turbulence going on in her family is nothing short of admirable. However, from the perspective of "a Carson", Ivy is probably just another girl. Each child growing up in difficult situations must somehow create their own way of dealing with things. It just so happens that Ivy's way is telling stories.

Speaking of perspectives, I find it fascinating how Snyder chose Martha as the main character. I feel like it is Snyder's attempt to subtly critique the way privileged people view their less privileged community members. As we follow Martha through her life in the flaw-intolerant Abbott family, we come across a heavy dose of prejudice and ignorance. We read, over and over, about Martha's family's dislike towards their daughter's friendship with "that Carson girl".  We hear opinions, unsolicited advice and accusations that we all must have heard at least once in our own real lives. Such as: poor children have greater tendency to end up in jail, or poor children cannot compete with their wealthier peers in school - even if it's in something like dancing. As Martha matures we even see these accusations from the girl herself. At one point in the book Martha noted that Ivy is still wearing the same dress as yesterday, which she claimed to be childish-looking. These are all things that we have heard or even thought of ourselves in day-to-day life. But now that we've seen Ivy through Martha's eyes, these words actually sting. In fact, this whole book hurts to read. It's supposed to be.

As I've mentioned above, I'm one of the world's many Martha Abbotts. The way the adult Abbotts throw around accusations, laugh off Martha's lack of social ability and shove Martha around to different activities they deem to be "normal" is so similar to the way my own family talk and behave. Although Snyder never described the adult Abbotts as "mean", "pushy" or "insensitive", I do think those words would easily pop up in our readers' heads no matter what background they come from. While I'm not going to say Snyder is looking to critique the upper-class families' parenting style - as we hear equally bad things from the Carson side of the book - I must say I'm happy to see this side of the upper-class to be exposed and discussed. I'm happy to see how Martha showed that her life is not at all perfect. At the same time, while we can easily see Ivy's life is not perfect, we got introduced to other ways for her to appear perfect: her personality, her courage, her dancing skills, and of course her imagination. These two girls complement each other. While I realize this book was originally written in 1970, I feel like it's still an important read to children today. I like how it shows that nothing is black-and-white. Even the most perfect-looking family has its down sides, and the least perfect-looking one their up sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment